WEEKEND IN WARSAW
APRIL 23 – 25
The events of the last weekend of April are looking really promising. We will be able to enjoy good food and music, explore and celebrate the history of Targówek, watch films and participate in movie workshops, take part in an online debate with international academics, and the list goes on. To find out more take a look at our list of TOP 5 events of the upcoming weekend.
If you would like to receive our weekend guide by email every week, please enter your email address below. Delivery every Thursday.
1) Good food (and more)
If you are after mouth-watering snacks, foodstuffs, and meals, these are the places to go:
- Chocolate and Ice-cream Market in Hala Gwardii is where the best chocolatiers, confectioners, and sorbetières convene to showcase their luscious products. Heaven for those seeking a dessert.
when: from Friday, April 23, to Sunday, April 25; Friday-Saturday from 10:00 to 20:00, Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00
where: Hala Gwardii – Plac Żelaznej Bramy
- 4th Gocław StreetFood Festival marks the beginning of the season for this district. This time we are recommending Banh Mi sandwiches from BajtMi and Bao buns from AZJĘ ZJEM. There’s nothing like a solid food truck fest in the district, so we are looking forward to the next editions in the other parts of the city.
when: from Friday, 15:00 on April 23, to Sunday, 19:00 on April 25;
where: Pływalnia Wodnik – ul. Abrahama 10,
- Flavors and Handcraft Market is a place to purchase local cheeses, hams, smoked fish, honey, etc. Those looking for hand-made clothing, jewelry, and toys will leave with full bags, too. The special attraction, however, will be a mobile blacksmithing point. We are curious to see what it can do.
when: from Friday, April 23, to Sunday, April 25; Friday from 10:00 to 19:00, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 to 19:00
where: Park nad Balatonem
2) Good films and music (and more)
Should you want to come in close contact with prime examples of visual arts and music, you might want to book some time for:
- Script Fiesta 9 and 1/2 attracts movie makers, their audiences, and critics alike. Thursday is dedicated to Richard Linklater’s productions. Friday and Saturday are all about the writing process, cooperation with actors, and presenting case studies. Our silent favorites are the debate between Cezary Pazura and Maciej Ślesicki (the creators of an iconic 13 posterunek series) and the streaming of Apples (IMDb)
when: from Thursday, April 22, to Saturday, April 24;
- Live stream of Maria Peszek in concert in Hala Koszyki is a chance to listen to the music of one of the most controversial lyricists in Poland. She has become a household name already in 2012 and ever since has ventured into various musical experiments. Let’s check out what’s on her mind now.
when: Friday, April 23, from 19:00
- If you are looking for a more immersive experience and own VR goggles buckle up for the VR concert of Szaman Polski. This experimental concert was recorded in 360 degrees technology, so the effects should be intense. Especially that the musicians are playing on hand-made drums.
when: Saturday, April 24, from 20:00
- If you are more into niche visual/performing arts, there is nothing like Butoh art. It mixes traditional Japanese theater with European expressionism. Difficult to put in words. So it seems like the best way to get the first-hand experience of Butoh is to join the streaming of Yumi Umiumare’s performance. The dancer is a true legend of this art.
when: from Friday, April 23, to Sunday, April 25
3) Discover Targówek – the people’s place
We are always very positive about events promoting local communities based on familiarity with neighbors and the district’s traditions alike. Targówek prepared a geocaching path, a set of online workshops, and an educational walk that popularize the history and people of that part of Warsaw. This really sounds like a good plan for weekend urban explorations, so pack up your adventurer’s hat.
when: Sunday, April 25, from 9:00 to 18:00
4) Go to the Plant Fest and become an urban grower
Looking for some additions to your plants’ collection? Anxious to finally catch up with the home-plant fad? Then this market really answers your needs. There is an exhaustive selection of plants perfect for home growing awaiting you in Centrum Praskie Koneser. The prices start from 5 PLN.
when: Saturday and Sunday, April 24 and 25, from 8:00 to 20:00
where: Centrum Praskie Koneser – plac Konesera
While at the site you can see Józef Wilkoń’s (painter, sculptor, and illustrator of books) most iconic works on an outdoor exhibition. (FB event)
5) Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and the Role of Civil Resistance – the debate
If you are feeling academic and want to partake in a talk between leading Jewish studies scholars, you just have to join this event. Havi Dreifuss (Yad Vashem and Tel Aviv University), Samuel Kassow (Trinity College), and Miriam Offer (Western Galilee College and Tel Aviv University) will discuss the significance of civilian resistance in the ghetto before and during the April 1943 uprising, both civil disobedience and the participation of unarmed fighters in the uprising. Again, it is of paramount importance to know the history of our city. This is an opportunity to not only listen but also speak up about the values that the people of Warsaw share.
when: Sunday, April 25, from 19:00 to 20:30
For more ideas for spending time with increased social distancing, see WHAT TO DO AT HOME: THE 18 BEST IDEAS FOR BOREDOM DURING A PANDEMIC and to find the best places to go, consult our list of 35 AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN WARSAW IN 2021.