WEEKEND IN WARSAW
JULY 16 – 18
It sure seems like this weekend is about finding solace from the unbearable heat and humidity. Therefore, we are looking to the river and evening outdoor leisure activities for respite. Long story short, we’ve got to make the hot season a bit cooler. This week’s Warsawesome tackles this task head-on by bringing you a list of sure-shots that will make the best of July (not only at the weekends).
If you would like to receive our weekend guide by email every week, please enter your email address below. Delivery every Thursday.
1) Water sports
Well, if you enjoy water activities this season is rich in free options just for you.
- free kayaks rental on Jezioro Kamionkowskie and Jezioro nad Balatonem in Praga Południe. It is open from Thursdays till Sundays. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- free kayaks rental on the Vistula – registration by calling +48 606 225 863;
- free catamaran cruises from Przystań Młociny. Saturdays and Sundays at 10:00, 11:15, and 12:30. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- free cruise on Omega-type yacht organized by Warszawski Plażowy. Every Saturday from 12:00 to 19:00 at full hours. You need to register a week in advance here;
- Vistula cruise with a guide is available on Saturdays and Sundays at 15:00 and 17:00. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- city game on kayaks combines water sports with urban education. You can register here.
2) Outdoor cinemas and theaters
This year we are getting a whole new user-friendly website aggregating outdoor cinemas’ schedules. There are over 20 venues in almost all districts (Ochota and Praga Południe are strangely underrepresented). The screenings run from Wednesday to Sunday at 21:00 and/or 21:30 until September 2.
All the details you can find on the Filmowa Stolica Lata website.
Yet, there are few venues that didn’t make it onto that list:
- Outdoor Cinema in Włochy (Park Marka Kotańskiego) will organize screenings on Fridays at 21:15 in July and 21:45 in August. FB event
- Elektrownia Powiśle (ul. Dobra 42) hosts outdoor cinema on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 19:30. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Wawer (Plaża Romantyczna) opens up on Sundays at 21:30. FB event
- Browary Warszawskie (ul. Krochmalna 59) have already inaugurated a series of screenings on Sundays and Wednesdays at 21:00. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Białołęka (Park Henrykowski) opens up on Fridays at 21:30 in July and 21:00 in August. FB event
- The National Museum (Aleje Jerozolimskie 3) hosts the “Insiders” film series on Sundays at 21:00. FB event
If you are more into outdoor theaters, you can choose to attend Teatr Polonia’s Wailing on the Constitution Square (free admission, Friday, July 16, at 17:00 at Plac Konstytucji) or Romeo & Juliet (Saturday, July 17, at 15:00 in the Wilanów Royal Park; send email to [email protected] to book your free seats; FB event).
In this section, we present smaller-scale events that have an alt-antic appeal:
- Green Veterans is a campaign that aims at giving new life to plants that retired from their posts in corporate skyscrapers. The plant adoption initiative is surrounded with eco-workshops (registration required), Q&A sessions with florist experts, concerts, and, of course, a food truck court.
When: Friday and Saturday, July 16-17, from 12:00 to 19:30
Where: Pasaż Wiecha
- Dancing on the Boulevards presents an opportunity to finally learn how to dance. Every two weeks we are getting one hour of a workshop dedicated to a particular dance followed by a two-hour DJ set for further practice. Then, there is an afterparty in Chata Numinosum (ul. Jazdów 3/5). This week is all about tango, so get ready for an all-out milonga.
When: Saturday, July 17, from 17:00
Where: next to Pomnik Syreny
- Open Jazdów Festival offers a variety of events and attractions every day until August 26. On Mondays, there are open discussions on important social topics; Tuesdays are for visual arts and graphic workshops; Wednesdays are dedicated to yoga and movies; Thursdays center around reading and creating literature; Fridays bring intimate live music performances; Saturdays are for dancing sessions; Sundays are for getting educated about urban agriculture. The timetable looks impressive and it’s always a good idea to support local initiatives creating a stronger urban community.
When: every day until August 26
Where: Osiedle Jazdów
- AKS Zły Beach Ultimate Cup brings together the best frisbee squads in the country. For now, the tournament is still in the group phase, so you can catch up early on and find your favorite team. Ultimate on the sand is a spectacular game and now is the time to really show that Polish throwers can attract large crowds.
When: all Saturdays at 10:00 and Mondays at 18:00 until August 8
Where: Plaża Poniatówka
- Open Beekeeping Workshops offer unique insights into the everyday life of Wola bees and promises to teach apiculture 101.
When: all Thursdays at 17:00
Where: Koło Pszczół in Park Księcia Janusza
Summer in Warsaw sounds with jazz. And this is where you will hear the best of it:
- Jazz Na Starówce Festival brings together the best Polish jazz-makers to perform before Warsaw’s audience for free. This weekend Purple is the color will take us on a jazzy ride with their modern sounds. These guys aspire to be “The Beatles of Jazz” so the quality is guaranteed.
When: Saturday, July 17, from 19:00
Where: Rynek Starego Miasta
- Dreszer Jazz Festival offers more intimate performances in a nostalgic milieu of Park Dreszera. This week it’s bringing a concert by Magdalena Howorska and Wojciech Kamiński.
When: Saturday, July 17, from 17:00
Where: Park Dreszera
- Jazz Zdrój Festival will celebrate the heritage of Louis Armstrong with concerts set up in the romantic natural surroundings of Park Zdrojowy in Konstancin. The line-up includes Old Metropolitan Band, Hot D`Jazz Trio, RB Dixie Five RB Dixie Five, and The Warsaw Dixielanders.
When: Saturday and Sunday, July 17 and 18, from 17:00 to 20:00
Where: Park Zdrojowy in Konstancin Jeziorna
- The Dziedziniec Kultury series sometimes strays away from jazz to showcase alt-music. This week that implies a concert by Renata Przemyk, a mega-star of the 1990s, in collaboration with up-and-coming singer/songwriter – Leski.
When: Friday, July 16, from 20:30
Where: ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 15/17
5) Outdoor yoga
There are very few better ways to start a weekend day than an outdoor yoga session. If you manage to wake up on time, we assure you that asanas energize you more effectively than your regular cup of coffee. And they are much healthier. This is where you can find your free practices:
- Yoga in a park
When: Fridays, from 17:00
Where: Park Żeromskiego
When: Saturdays, from 10:00
Where: Park Moczydło
When: Sundays, from 10:00
Where: Pole Mokotowskie
- Yoga on the grass
When: Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:00
Where: Prochownia Żoliborz – Park Żeromskiego
- Yoga in Lunapark
When: Saturdays, from 15:00
Where: Lunapark – Wał Miedzeszyński 407
- Outdoor yoga in Ursynów
When: Saturdays at 10:00
Where: Park Przy Bażantarni
- Outdoor yoga in Wilanów
When: Saturdays at 11:00
Where: Royal Wilanów – ul. Klimczaka 1
- Yoga #onthebeach
When: Saturdays at 12:00 and Sundays at 20:00
Where: Plaża Rusałka
6) Weekend classics
- Nocny Market is a food court beloved by everybody in the city. There will be classics from the previous 5 editions, exciting debutantes, 5 drink bars, redesigned chillout, and music zones. This week we are particularly eager to participate in fine dining on a roof in Neo(n) Bistro (FB) and a used books market (Sundays, from 16:00 to 23:00; FB)
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays and Saturdays (17:00-01:00), and Sundays (17:00 – 23:00)
Where: Dworzec Głowny – ul. Towarowa 3
More on FB page
- OFF Brzeska is a place to buy local produce, savor mouth-watering street food, and bounce to cool live beats. All this in the surroundings of an iconic marketplace – Bazar Różyckiego. The venue’s classic set that we wholeheartedly recommend comprises pyzy (a type of dumplings) and a shot of ice-cold vodka. And this Friday’s special is a DJ set from a popular rapper Grubson aka DJ Twardykark (FB event)
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (17:00-01:00), Saturdays (17:00-02:00), and Sundays (13:00 to 20:00)
Where: OFF Brzeska – Brzeska 25
More on FB page
- Wielka Uczta nad Wisłą is your choice when you are partying by the boulevards. This year it will be located on Płyta Desantu near Pomost 511 and Fala nad Wisłą which ensures that good food will be accompanied by music that will make your legs dance hard.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (18:00-02:00), Saturdays (12:00-02:00), and Sundays (12:00 – 22:00)
Where: Płyta Desantu
More on FB page
- Praga Centrum is where you can feel as if you were at a summer festival. There are at least 3 major concerts a week, silent discos, catwalks, etc. All that plus drink bars and food trucks, obviously.
When: every day
Where: ul. Szwedzka 2/4
More on FB page.
To find the best places for summer walks, bike trips, dates, etc. consult our list of 35 AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN WARSAW IN 2021.