WEEKEND IN WARSAW
JULY 2 – 4
The first weekend of July flings open the door to genuine summer fun. For arts and culture lovers, there will be over 20 new outdoor cinemas and theaters start putting on outdoor plays. EURO 2020 zones are running their course, but we still have the time to enjoy a pint with the squad while watching a game. In the mornings and on match-free evenings, we can choose to do yoga in a park or attend a concert on a jazz festival. All these and more, with all the details you need, you will find in this week’s Warsawesome.
If you would like to receive our weekend guide by email every week, please enter your email address below. Delivery every Thursday.
1) Outdoor cinemas
This year we are getting a whole new user-friendly website aggregating outdoor cinemas’ schedules. There are over 20 venues in almost all districts (Ochota and Praga Południe are strangely underrepresented). The screenings run from Wednesday to Sunday at 21:00 and/or 21:30 until September 2.
All the details you can find on the Filmowa Stolica Lata website.
Yet, there are few venues that didn’t make it onto that list:
- Outdoor Cinema in Włochy (Park Marka Kotańskiego) will organize screenings on Fridays at 21:15 in July and 21:45 in August. FB event
- Elektrownia Powiśle (ul. Dobra 42) hosts outdoor cinema on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 19:30. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Wawer (Plaża Romantyczna) opens up on Sundays at 21:30. FB event
- Browary Warszawskie (ul. Krochmalna 59) have already inaugurated a series of screenings on Sundays and Wednesdays at 21:00. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Białołęka (Park Henrykowski) opens up on Fridays at 21:30 in July and 21:00 in August. FB event
2) Outdoor theater
If you are more into the theater, there are options for you as well. Och-Teatr and Teatr Polonia are organizing a series of free outdoor performances:
- Hansel and Gretel, Centrum Praskie Koneser, Friday, July 2, at 17:00, and Plac Konstytucji, Saturday, July 31, at 15:00;
- Old is Beautiful, Centrum Praskie Koneser, Tuesday, July 6, at 18:00, and Plac Konstytucji from Monday, July 19, to Wednesday, July 21, at 17:00;
- Wailing on the Constitution Square, Centrum Praskie Koneser, Friday, July 9 at 18:00, and Plac Konstytucji from Wednesday, July 14, to Friday, July 16, at 17:00;
- Open Relationship, Centrum Praskie Koneser, Tuesday, July 13, at 18:00, and Plac Konstytucji, Thursday and Friday, July 29 and 30, at 17:00.
This weekend we are taking a break from parties, so instead, we thought, we all might enjoy some concerts. Here are the ones we find most noteworthy:
- Stylowa Orkiestra Taneczna‘s specialty is retro music, film hits of the 20s and 30s, and the most beautiful melodies of that period. What sets them apart from others playing more or less the same music is that they perform on little squares between blocks, bringing the music to local residents. This is exactly how we want urban music to be played.
When: Sunday, July 4, from 18:00
Where: ul. Starej Baśni 10
- Jazz Na Starówce Festival brings together the best Polish jazz-makers to perform before Warsaw’s audience for free. This weekend Zbigniew Namysłowski Quintet will take the stage. FYI, these are the living legends of international jazz, so…
When: Saturday, July 3, from 12:00 to 18:00
Where: Rynek Starego Miasta
- Józef Skrzek (multi-instrumentalist, vocalist, and composer) will team up with Ella Skrzek, Daniel Bloom, and Karina Skrzeszewska to open the fourth edition of the Dziedziniec Kultury series. High-level musical pleasure.
When: Friday, July 2, from 20:30
Where: ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 15/17
4) EURO 2020 zones
EURO 2020 enters the quarter-finals stage. That means there are only 7 matches left in the tournament. You will be able to watch all of these in the following venues that prepared their EURO zones (beer, barbecue, foosball, pub quizzes, etc.):
- Where: OFF Brzeska – ul. Brzeska 25; FB event
- Where: Boogaloo Beach Bar – Plaża Żoliborz; FB event
- Where: Pomost 511 and Fala – Płyta Desantu 3 Dywizji Piechoty; FB event
- Where: Elektrownia Powiśle– ul. Dobra 42; FB event
- Where: Galeria Młociny – ul. Zgrupowania AK Kampinos 15; FB event
- Where: Plażówka – ul. Dzieci Warszawy 24; FB page
- Where: Hula Kula – ul. Jagiellońska 82b; FB event
- Where: Brooklyn House – ul. Jana Pawła II 18; FB event
- Where: Grunt i Woda – Bulwar Flotylli Wiślanej; FB event
- Where: Lolek – ul. Rokitnicka 20; FB event
5) Outdoor yoga
There are very few better ways to start a weekend day than an outdoor yoga session. If you manage to wake up on time, we assure you that asanas energize you more effectively than your regular cup of coffee. And they are much healthier. This is where you can find your free practices:
- Yoga in a park
When: Fridays, from 17:00
Where: Park Żeromskiego
When: Saturdays, from 10:00
Where: Park Moczydło
When: Sundays, from 10:00
Where: Pole Mokotowskie
- Yoga on the grass
When: Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:00
Where: Prochownia Żoliborz – Park Żeromskiego
- Yoga in Lunapark
When: Saturdays, from 15:00
Where: Lunapark – Wał Miedzeszyński 407
- Outdoor yoga in Ursynów
When: Saturdays at 10:00
Where: Park Przy Bażantarni
- Outdoor yoga in Wilanów
When: Saturdays at 11:00
Where: Royal Wilanów – ul. Klimczaka 1
In this section, we present smaller-scale events that have an alt-antic appeal:
- Honey Harvest in Bielany is exactly what the name tells us. You need to register here to participate in harvesting, processing, and sampling the produce of Bielany bee-garden residents. Long sleeves and long trousers are highly recommended.
When: Saturday, July 3, at 10:00 and 12:00
Where: Bielański Ośrodek Kultury – ul. Estrady 112
- The 4th Japanese Games Festival presents a world of traditional entertainment straight from the Land of the Rising Sun. On-site, you will be able to learn to play and socialize by playing traditional board games such as shogi, go, or mahjong, those with more physical movement, such as kendama, as well as those more aimed at children, such as fukuwarai and many others. There will also be other board games available that somehow allude to Japan, so there’s something for everyone.
When: Saturday, July 3, from 12:00 to 18:00
Where: Młodzieżowy Dom Kultury Śródmieście – ul. Fabryczna 1/3
- 2nd b-day of Radio Kapitał will fill Friday and Saturday evenings with electronic music from artists such as Katarina Gryvul, Beluga Trigga, and Dawanko Special. On Sunday, there will be a community picnic with food trucks, refugees’ art exhibition, concerts, DJ sets, and a small market with books, CDs, clothes, and accessories.
When: from Friday, July 2, to Sunday, July 4
Where: Szkoła – ul. Emilii Plater 31 and Pardon,To Tu – al. Armii Ludowej 14
7) Food and drinks
The weekend classics are:
- Nocny Market is a food court beloved by everybody in the city. There will be classics from the previous 5 editions, exciting debutantes, 5 drink bars, redesigned chillout, and music zones. We can’t wait for beetroot and goat cheese pizza from Włoski Strajk. It’s an absolute killer.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays and Saturdays (17:00-01:00), and Sundays (17:00 – 23:00)
Where: Dworzec Głowny – ul. Towarowa 3
More on FB page
- OFF Brzeska is a place to buy local produce, savor mouth-watering street food, and bounce to cool live beats. All this in the surroundings of an iconic marketplace – Bazar Różyckiego. The venue’s classic set that we wholeheartedly recommend comprises pyzy (a type of dumplings) and a shot of ice-cold vodka.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (17:00-01:00), Saturdays (17:00-02:00), and Sundays (13:00 to 20:00)
Where: OFF Brzeska – Brzeska 25
More on FB page
- Slow Market is your choice when you are partying by the boulevards. This year it will be located on Płyta Desantu near Pomost 511 and Fala nad Wisłą which ensures that good food will be accompanied by music that will make your legs dance hard.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (18:00-02:00), Saturdays (12:00-02:00), and Sundays (12:00 – 22:00)
Where: Płyta Desantu
More on FB page
To find the best places for June walks, bike trips, dates, etc. consult our list of 35 AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN WARSAW IN 2021.