WEEKEND IN WARSAW
SEPTEMBER 10 – 12
This is a weekend of big events. We have carefully analyzed their programs and schedules so that you don’t have to anymore. Where to watch the star-ridden Freekwencja Festival? Which workouts to choose during the National Sports Day? Which meetings should not be missed at the Warsaw Book Fair? You’ll find the answers to these questions and much more in Warsawesome.
If you would like to receive our weekend guide every week, please enter your email address below. Delivery every Thursday.
1) Freekwencja Festival
Last year, over 77 percent of Warsaw residents voted in the presidential election. This is the highest turnout among all cities in Poland. As a reward, we are getting the Freekwencja online music festival with a stellar line-up comprising Dawid Podsiadło, Ørganek, Baranovski, Kasia Lins, Artur Rojek, Krzysztof Zalewski, Sorry Boys, Mrozu, Pezet, Ralph Kaminski, and Sokół. The event will be produced in the XR technology combining real images from cameras with virtual digital effects. We are in for a treat both in terms of music and visuals.
When: Sunday, September 12, from 19:00
If you want to watch this unique concert on a large open-air screen, we recommend the broadcast as part of After Summer Music Park. This event will start on Friday with a concert by Maciej Miecznikowski and Tango Attack with a dance show; on Saturday, it will delight us with a jazz delicacy in the form of a concert by the legendary Walk Away band and Beata Przybytek; and on Sunday, we are welcome to a Freekwencja broadcast.
When: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 10, 11, and 12, from 19:00
Where: Multimedialny Park Fontann
2) IX National Sports Day
The main event of the National Sports Day (NDS) is a picnic on the grounds of the National Stadium. We will find there a lot of training sessions, meetings with athletes, as well as family, health, and NGO zones. Our TOP3 events are:
- golf practice (organized by KS Ground Józefów), because we have excellent areas around the capital for practicing this elegant sport;
- palant games (Polskie Stowarzyszenie Palantowe), because the Polish version of baseball deserves to be popularized and we definitely want to play it with friends in a park or on a beach;
- ultimate frisbee (Sky This team), because it is the best sports entertainment we know and it’s always worth perfecting your technique.
When: Saturday, September 11, from 12:00 to 17:00
Where: grounds of the National Stadium and other locations
A full list of events is available on the NDS website.
15th Warsaw Family Days (WDR) is another accompanying event worth mentioning. It starts on Friday, September 10, and goes on until Sunday, September 12. The organizers invite to the open days of the most interesting family shows, workshops, and activities for children and adults in the capital. Our TOP3 is:
- Kercelak – Wola festival (more info)
- comic book workshops for children (more info)
- acting workshops for teenagers (more info)
The full list of events is available on the WDR website.
3) Wilanów Days
It is a district festival where lovers of sports, theaters, music, and vege delicacies will find something to please themselves. The program includes:
- on Friday, September 10, the open-air play “Klimakterium i już” by Teatr Capitol, the night Footvolley Show for the inauguration of the International Beach Sports Festival, as well as dance, music, and delicious food from many parts of the world as part of the International Festival;
- on Saturday, September 11, Wege Festival, Royal Crafts Festival, historical picnic, and concerts by Viki Gabor and Kamil Bednarek ;
- on Sunday, September 12, the festivals will be continued, and there will be the 3rd Wilanów Spelling Bee Cup and a Golf Day.
The full schedule of events is available on the Wilanów website.
When: from Friday, September 10, to Sunday, September 12, from 10:00 to 22:00
Where: Wilanów Beach, Royal Wilanów, and the Museum of King Jan III Sobieski’s Palace
4) Warsaw Book Fair
The fair will be an opportunity to meet the most liked, known, and awarded authors of Polish and foreign literature of all genres, translators, illustrators, etc. The event is divided into the following thematic blocks:
- Warsaw Crime Story Festival, where it is attending a meeting with Remigiusz Mróz – the highest-selling author in Poland, on Saturday, September 11, at 16:00;
- the Honorary Guest – Czech Republic zone, with an outstanding series of 3 conversations between Mariusz Szczygieł and the stars of Czech literature (on the main stage on Thursday, September 9, at 13:00 and 16:00, and on Sunday, September 12, at 17:00);
- Warsaw Comics Festival, where we recommend a meeting with Ingo Romling, who designs characters for Star Wars Rebels, the animated TV series that spawned the eponymous magazine, on Saturday, September 11, at 17:20;
- the Warsaw Reader program, including a meeting with the finalists of the 12th edition of the Ryszard Kapuściński Award on Saturday, September 11, at 14:00;
- a fantasy zone where we recommend the debate “In the Shadow of Lem” on Friday, September 10, at 16:00;
- publishers’ zone where we will, among others, talk with Mary Spolsky on Sunday, September 12, at 11:00 at the Wielka Litera stand, get an autograph of Ewa Krawczyk and Andrzej Kosmala on their book about legendary Krzysztof Krawczyk.
The full list of events is available on the WTK website .
When: from Thursday, September 9, to Sunday, September 12
Where: Plac Defilad
5) New Season in Culture kicks off in Mokotów
It’s time to start the new season in culture. All community culture centers in Mokotów will convene in the same place and at the same time to present their offers and encourage us to regularly make good use of those. There will be plenty to choose from. In addition to the presentation of plans for the coming months, there are also other attractions. We recommend
- a bird walk with an ornithologist at 12:15;
- meeting with Grzegorz Piątek, author of the “Best City in the World” nominated for the Nike 2021 Literary Award, at 17:00;
- screening of ”At Eternity’s Gate” with William Dafoe nominated to Oscar for the leading role at 20:00.
When: Sunday, September 12, from 11:00 to 20:00
Where: Służewski Dom Kultury – ul. J.S. Bacha 15
To find the best places for summer walks, bike trips, dates, etc. consult our list of the 35 AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN WARSAW IN 2021.