WEEKEND IN WARSAW
The last weekend of July and the first Sunday of August are here. This time they really come with an intention – making urban communities stronger in Warsaw. The events we present in our list make us appreciate the history, the present, and the opportunities of our city and the great people we can meet here.
If you would like to receive our weekend guide by email every week, please enter your email address below. Delivery every Thursday.
1) 77th anniversary of Warsaw Rising
Every year, at 18:00 on August 1 we stop for a minute to commemorate the people of Warsaw who participated inf the Warsaw Rising. It is known as the “W” hour and this year is all about a shared feeling of community. Make sure that you are in an interesting place with your important ones at this very hour. The most important day in the Warsaw calendar includes many anniversary events, and in our opinion, the most noteworthy are
- a screening of “Powstanie Warszawskie” – the world’s first non-fiction war drama, reconstructed from surviving documentary materials and directed by an Academy Award nominee – Jan Komasa.
When: Sunday, August 1, from 21:00 to 22:30
Where: FINA – ul. Wałbrzyska 3/5
- a VR experience “A postcard from the Rising” which aims to make you feel as if you were in the middle of the Rising with a very important mission to accomplish.
When: all August, from 9:00 to 15:00
Where: Hala Koszyki – ul. Koszykowa 63
- a concert by Warszawskie Combo Taneczne featuring Zbigniew Kwapiński’s Band and Mateusz Niwiński, because these gentlement are the best possible guides around Warsaw’s music folklore.
When: Saturday, August 31, from 20:00
Where: Plac Defilad
2) Water sports
Well, if you enjoy water activities this season is rich in free options just for you.
- free kayaks rental on Jezioro Kamionkowskie and Jezioro nad Balatonem in Praga Południe. It is open from Thursdays till Sundays. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- free kayaks rental on the Vistula – registration by calling +48 606 225 863;
- free catamaran cruises from Przystań Młociny. Saturdays and Sundays at 10:00, 11:15, and 12:30. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- free cruise on Omega-type yacht organized by Warszawski Plażowy. Every Saturday from 12:00 to 19:00 at full hours. You need to register a week in advance here;
- Vistula cruise with a guide is available on Saturdays and Sundays at 15:00 and 17:00. All you need to do is register in advance here;
- city game on kayaks combines water sports with urban education. You can register here.
3) Yogastasy and outdoor yoga
There are very few better ways to start a weekend day than an outdoor yoga session. If you manage to wake up on time, we assure you that asanas energize you more effectively than your regular cup of coffee. And they are much healthier. This week we are particularly keen on trying out something new yogastasy which combines hatha yoga with ecstatic dance:
- Yoga is Ecstasy (yoga+ecstatic dance)
When: Saturday, July 31, at 10:00
Where: Park Skaryszewski
The regular practices are:
- Yoga in a park
When: Fridays at 17:00
Where: Park Żeromskiego
When: Saturdays at 10:00
Where: Park Moczydło
When: Sundays at 10:00; Mondays at 17:30; Wednesdays at 18:00
Where: Pole Mokotowskie
- Yoga on the grass
When: Saturdays and Sundays at 10:00
Where: Prochownia Żoliborz – Park Żeromskiego
- Yoga in Lunapark
When: Saturdays at 15:00
Where: Lunapark – Wał Miedzeszyński 407
- Outdoor yoga in Ursynów
When: Saturdays at 10:00
Where: Park Przy Bażantarni
- Yoga #onthebeach
When: Saturdays at 12:00 and Sundays at 20:00
Where: Plaża Rusałka
- GOJA JOGA on the grass
When: Sundays at 10:00
Where: Park Szymańskiego or Park Sowińskiego on Wola
- Outdoor yoga on Służew
When: Sundays at 12:00
Where: Służewski Dom Kultury – ul. Jana Sebastiana Bacha 15
4) Outdoor cinemas and theaters
This year we are getting a whole new user-friendly website aggregating outdoor cinemas’ schedules. There are over 20 venues in almost all districts (Ochota and Praga Południe are strangely underrepresented). The screenings run from Wednesday to Sunday at 21:00 and/or 21:30 until September 2.
All the details you can find on the Filmowa Stolica Lata website.
Yet, there are few venues that didn’t make it onto that list:
- Outdoor Cinema in Włochy (Park Marka Kotańskiego) will organize screenings on Fridays at 21:15 in July and 21:45 in August. FB event
- Elektrownia Powiśle (ul. Dobra 42) hosts outdoor cinema on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 19:30. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Wawer (Plaża Romantyczna) opens up on Sundays at 21:30. FB event
- Browary Warszawskie (ul. Krochmalna 59) have already inaugurated a series of screenings on Sundays and Wednesdays at 21:00. FB event
- Outdoor Cinema in Białołęka (Park Henrykowski) opens up on Fridays at 21:30 in July and 21:00 in August. FB event
- The National Museum (Aleje Jerozolimskie 3) hosts the “Insiders” film series on Sundays at 21:00. FB event
- Green Festival on Tour moved to Pawilon Edukacyjny Kamień (Wybrzeże Puckie 1) to showcase movies about ecology and environment. They will all be preceded by meetings with artists and eco-experts. All Saturdays at 20:30. FB event
In this section, we present smaller-scale events that have an alt-antic appeal:
- Urban Festival by Wars Sawa Junior is commemorating the 52nd anniversary of opening Pasaż Wiecha. The schedule includes a guided walk presenting Warsaw’s famous neons, an urban game, creative workshops, concerts, and an intergenerational dance party.
When: Friday and Saturday, July 30 and 31, from 10:00 to 19:30
Where: Pasaż Wiecha
- Dancing on the Boulevards presents an opportunity to finally learn how to dance. Every two weeks we are getting one hour of a workshop dedicated to a particular dance followed by an afterparty in Chata Numinosum (ul. Jazdów 3/5). This week, it is all about the blues and a Crossing Wires concert.
When: Saturday, July 31, from 17:00
Where: next to Pomnik Syreny
- If you are a vintage-head, go to Kino Luna. Vintage Day has made an impact in the previous years and now promises to keep the high-level of fashion products and accessories. All straight from Polish artisans.
When: Saturday, July 31, from 12:00 to 18:00
Where: Kino Luna – ul. Marszałkowska 28
- Open Jazdów Festival offers a variety of events and attractions every day until August 26. On Mondays, there are open discussions on important social topics; Tuesdays are for visual arts and graphic workshops; Wednesdays are dedicated to yoga and movies; Thursdays center around reading and creating literature; Fridays bring intimate live music performances; Saturdays are for dancing sessions; Sundays are for getting educated about urban agriculture. The timetable looks impressive and it’s always a good idea to support local initiatives creating a stronger urban community.
When: every day until August 26
Where: Osiedle Jazdów
The summer in Warsaw sounds with jazz and this is where you will hear the best of it:
- The Dziedziniec Kultury series sometimes strays away from jazz to showcase alt-music. This week’s headliner Ścianka is a legend of Polish rock, for example. They will be performing live a soundtrack recorded for the purposes of Stanisław Lem’s “The Invincible” audiobook.
When: Friday, July 30, from 19:00
Where: ul. Krakowskie Przedmieście 15/17
- Jazz Na Starówce Festival brings together the best Polish jazz-makers to perform before Warsaw’s audience for free. This weekend we will attend Włodzimierz Nahorny Trio Polish Sound concert held as a commemoration of the band leader’s 80th birthday. The leader who is often dubbed a Chopin of Jazz.
When: Saturday, July 31, from 19:00
Where: Rynek Starego Miasta
- Dreszer Jazz Festival offers more intimate performances in a nostalgic milieu of Park Dreszera. This week it’s bringing a concert of a Małys – Rudnicki – Zielak trio.
When: Saturday, July 31, from 17:00
Where: Park Dreszera
7) Weekend classics
- Praga Centrum is where you can feel as if you were at a summer festival. There are at least 3 major concerts a week, silent discos, catwalks, etc. All that plus drink bars and food trucks, obviously. This week, the venue will also hold a market with handmade accessories, home appliances, and clothes (FB event).
When: every day
Where: ul. Szwedzka 2/4
More on FB page.
- Nocny Market is a food court beloved by everybody in the city. There will be classics from the previous 5 editions, exciting debutantes, 5 drink bars, redesigned chillout, and music zones. This week we are particularly eager to participate in a used books market (Sundays, from 16:00 to 23:00; FB)
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays and Saturdays (17:00-01:00), and Sundays (17:00 – 23:00)
Where: Dworzec Głowny – ul. Towarowa 3
More on FB page
- OFF Brzeska is a place to buy local produce, savor mouth-watering street food, and bounce to cool live beats. All this in the surroundings of an iconic marketplace – Bazar Różyckiego. The venue’s classic set that we wholeheartedly recommend comprises pyzy (a type of dumplings) and a shot of ice-cold vodka.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (17:00-01:00), Saturdays (17:00-02:00), and Sundays (13:00 to 20:00)
Where: OFF Brzeska – Brzeska 25
More on FB page
- Wielka Uczta nad Wisłą is your choice when you are partying by the boulevards. This year it will be located on Płyta Desantu near Pomost 511 and Fala nad Wisłą which ensures that good food will be accompanied by music that will make your legs dance hard.
When: the venue will be open on all Fridays (18:00-02:00), Saturdays (12:00-02:00), and Sundays (12:00 – 22:00)
Where: Płyta Desantu
More on FB page
To find the best places for summer walks, bike trips, dates, etc. consult our list of 35 AMAZING THINGS TO DO IN WARSAW IN 2021.